Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Idiom Idiyum

One thing which interests me a great deal that I have written about in blogs before is the use of idioms. Kolln wrote, “The term idiom refers to a combination of words whose meaning cannot be predicted from the meaning of its parts; it is a set expression that acts as a unit.” Some examples we commonly use would be things like catch some Zs, hit the books, or on crack.

I think that quite often we appreciate our own language in an ethnocentric way, neglecting to find the beauty in languages which are not our own. One way I’ve found of appreciating the unique cultural differences of others is by finding idioms in other languages and asking for their translations in English. I also try to find equivalents of English idioms to see if other languages have similar ones.

I have a friend who is living in China right now, and he acquainted me with an idiom for something being difficult. Like pulling feathers from an iron chicken. This seems very similar to our “like talking to a brick wall,” or “like pulling teeth.” They also have like scales on tofu, meaning “obvious.” I am not sure why, but I always find learning new idioms and traditions from other languages interesting. In Russian, when you wish a person good luck, you can use the phrase commonly used to wish a hunter well. You would wish them “neither down nor feathers,” and in response, they tell you to “go to hell.” This is interesting in that the tradition uses an idiom, and people wish for and respond with the exact opposite of what they really hope (not wanting to jinx the other person). While I’m not sure why I find these differences in speech so fascinating, I am always hoping to learn new idioms from other languages. If anyone has some they would like to share, I would greatly appreciate it.

I haven’t always been as interested in idioms as I am now, and I think it’s because I have lived in many places where there really was not a variety of different languages, dialects, or major differences in writing present. Going to college and working with ESL students has helped me to appreciate the immense variety of languages and ideas that are different from those to which I am accustomed.

A question I would pose to others would be this. Some cultures circle round an argument before coming to their point. Some start with the most drastic statement and then slowly move towards stating what it is they are really after. To what degree do you tend to think of English as “absolute” or forget that others might be communicating in different ways when talking to people or perhaps doing a peer review for a non-native speaker? If you're a non-native speaker, do you find that you think of your first language in those same ways? Do you always take into account the differences in language, even in the country in which you've grown up? Do you make assumptions, as I often have, based solely upon a particular view, having grown up in the United States where I speak and write Standard English?

4 Comments:

At 8:01 AM, Blogger Britta said...

Idioms can be intriguing as well as confusing. I agree with Max in that when a phrase becomes popular, it is no longer a puzzle and no longer requires special thought to understand the meaning and context of the phrase.

One of my favorite idioms is "an unhappy camper" meaning you are annoyed with something or it displeases you.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger grammar gal said...

The only thing that I can really say about your questions is that I think that culture plays a huge role in how you say something. I know that in Asian cultures things aren't boldly stated. There's a lot of easing into a subject when talking to someone. It's just not polite.
Here's a new idiom for you: I grew up in Hawaii and I remember people describing something that they ate as having "broke dah mouth." It didn't mean that it was bad, it meant that it was so good that it broke the mouth for anything else.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger jeremytd said...

Idioms are fun, for sure. I don't really know any others, except for one minimal idiom in Spanish which merely means "beer break," or something like that. As far as assumptions and relations to other cultures, I recall while working in the Writing Center that some ESL students had trouble with the tone we use in our essays. I can't remember exactly what the given culture preferred, but our tone was unnatural for them to use because it was very rude in their native tongue and context. Interesting, no?

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Jason said...

I can't say that I have thought of English as an absolute, for several reasons. One reason is that my mentor growing up was a linguist, so I had early exposure to the uniqueness of differtn languages. Second is that many of my frineds were either immagrants or exchange students (a number of whom I tutoured) so that I was aware by how they used English what some of the ways thier language worked. Third is that I have studied several different languages, and finally I lived and worked in Thailand for a while. I can't say I have had the same assumptions growing up becasue of these items.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home