Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Delpit- Question #1

As a second year student, I have still not decided on a major. I am exploring my options and have been enrolled in two TCE courses to see if education is the right choice for me. Before taking these courses, I was so naïve, just thinking about the chance to interact with and teach fun little kids. After reading Delpit’s article and others like it in my TCE classes, I have come to realize that there is so much more than just that. If I continue down the path toward education, my future students will not all come from the same economic or cultural backgrounds. I will have to learn how to address different issues, including those of language and power as discussed in Delpit’s article. I will have to decide how and what to teach children of different backgrounds. Learning from other people’s experiences, especially Delpit’s and the ones she includes in her article, will be helpful in my preparation for a position as an educator. 

2 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Blogger Tami said...

It's very true that being a teacher is hard work. My mom is a third grade teacher and not only has to think about the kids' backgrounds but also their possible different learning styles. This also ties in with what the kids bring to class with them in terms of cultural identity and worldview.

 
At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems as though this article is good for someone in your situation to take in. In this I mean that it will make it so that the options of the future allow for one to learn information such as this. Through reading articles like this you are able to prepare for the future regardless of what career it is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home