Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Delpit Question #1

I am preparing to become a middle school language arts teacher, and I definitely feel that Delpit’s article gives me tools to take into the classroom. I have always been interested in the “process” of writing (as Delpit titles it) instead of the “skills” because I feel it is important for students to enjoy writing and to understand how it applies to their own lives instead of memorizing words and drills.That said, I understand it is important for students to understand rules and form in order to communicate their ideas effectively. Delpit’s article demonstrates how important it is for minority students to gain access to these codes of the language of power. I never thought that the push for “process” writing would actually limit students’ opportunities in the future. If anything, I was under the impression that it would help open their minds and enrich their ability to think critically. Delpit urges teachers to recognize that their students already know how to tap into their inner voice because of what their parents or culture has taught them, but they aren’t always being taught the “skills” at home that they need to function in American society. Minority parents “want to ensure that the school provides their children with discourse patterns, interactional styles and spoken and written language codes that will allow them success in the larger society” (Delpit 29). I understand that this is a concern for minority parents and students, and I am glad I am aware of this situation before I step into my future role as a teacher. Whether we like it or not, our system is set up so that they cannot succeed without this knowledge.

1 Comments:

At 8:30 AM, Blogger Toast said...

It seems like that doesn't just apply to minority cultures, either, it's everyone who was taught in a public school. They just don't teach how to write anymore, and they expect you to know how. I think offering courses for all students to "understand rules and form in order to communicate their ideas effectively," as you put it, would be beneficial for everyone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home