Monday, May 24, 2010

The Death of a Language.

I've said this once and I will say it again: The Internet Machine is going to murder the English language. It is vile and it is a parasite to the very fabric of what we hold true to our language. It is horrible to admit this, but it's so true! And it's unavoidable—especially in college, where we are practically required to have access to a computer AT LEAST once a day. The fact that our population is so dependent on computers makes me quite afraid for our future. I guess the shear dependency scares me more than what is actually occurring on the Internet.

After becoming so desensitized to how words are actually written, I'm not sure what to believe is the proper usage anymore. Do I simply lol every time I need a good haha? Or am I too lazy to tell someone I'll be right back and give in the easier three key punch that is brb? DOES TYPING LIKE THIS MAKE YOU THINK I'M REALLY EXCITED OR REALLY ANGRY AT YOU?! You decide. Because that's what is becoming of our language. The facts that are brought up in the video are amazing because they're so true. It's so shockingly true that ANYONE, regardless of prowess or skill, can become a published writer. It doesn't take merely any effort or talent. That's disgusting to me! As someone planning on becoming a writer, I want to work hard for my recognition. I don't want to have it created for me by some backroom printing press for $100. I mean, if I was really desperate, I would go for it. But I'm not that desperate...yet.

I spoke about how I worry for my generation on the Internet. Well, the next generation isn't going to be at any form of advantage when it comes to the same battle. My niece texts me the most absurd messages that disregard punctuation and spelling. The thing is, she's a brilliant student!!! I asked her why she texts like that when she's such a smart student. She told me she does it because it's how her friends text. Kids are sacrificing their intelligence for the shear sake of being accepted through a simplified version of English!

But it’s not simple because I have to take extra time to focus on what the person texting me was trying to say. Then I typically respond asking them to clarify their entire text, or at least punctuate it better. This is when they get offended. I look like the bad guy, just like when I pull out the grammar police badge on Facebook. It’s a lot of fun to notice errors, but no one wants to be corrected on it, because they “don’t care.” And people wonder why they are horrible writers! Perhaps it’s because most of them will never understand the beauty of their language because they don’t know what it is anymore!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home