Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Nominalization in Political Science Texts

Political Science is actually my minor, but I didn't think that examples of nominalization in French texts would help anyone.

Until I looked for this assignment, I had not noticed nominalization in my class readings. However, now I can see that there is a fair amount of it in political science texts.

An example of an appositive:
"What we now call globalization-the growth of an international economic system-is one of the most important historical development of the last five centuries."
-Walter Russell Mead, "Changing the Paradigms"

A gerund phrase as a subject of a sentence:
"Finally, attacking Iraq would undermine the war on terrorism, diverting manpower, money and attention from the fight against Al Qaeda."
-John J. Mearcheimer and Stephen M. Walt, "Keeping Saddam Hussein in a Box"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home