Saturday, March 04, 2006

On "On Copia"

[Sorry about re-representing what I did in class. I didn't get to fully makes some points on repetition that I would have liked.]

"On Copia..." was written by Erasmus as a demonstration of a writing exercise. You take one sentence and then express it as many different ways as you possibly can. Copia is translated as "abundance."

He wrote, "First of all, exercise in expressing oneself in different ways will be of considerable importance in general for the acquisition of style. In particular however it will help in avoiding, that is, the repetition of a word or phrase, an ugly and offensive fault. It often happens that we say the same thing several times. If in these circumstances we find ourselves destitute of verbal riches and hesitate, or keep singing out the same old phrase like a cukoo, and are unable to clothe our thought in other colors or other forms, we shall look ridiculous when we show ourselves to be so tongue-tied, and we shall also bore our wretched audience to death." (BH 598)

I agree with the exercises importance for "the acquisition of style." In his exercise, Erasmus rewrote the sentence, "Your letter please me mightily." (BH 605) In the importance of acquiring style I immediately find phrases that I like and dislike. I find Erasmus' first variation, "From my dear Faustus' letter I derived much delight." a rather weak variation (BH 606).

After studying the sentence I know I dislike it because of its structure: Object-Subject-Verb. Or in other words, Erasmus employs a passive voice instead of an active voice. An active voice would read like this: "I [the subject] derived [the verb] much delight from Faustus' letter [the object]"

Another example of passive voice: "When your letter was delivered, I was filled with delight." (BH 606)

To make it active: "I was filled with delight when your letter was delivered."

An example of active voice: "Your letter was very sweet to me." (BH 606)

Although I agree with using this exercise for acquisition of style, I don't believe, "... repitition of a word or phrase, [is] an ugly and offensive fault." I don't think you will sound like a "cukoo" that "sings out the same old phrase" and "bores the audience to death."

I believe there are three poetry forms that you can use to make repetition a beautiful thing. These three forms are the Pantoum, Villanelle, and the Sestina.

Erasmus noted on writing "copia" that it should be started out by "rendering" your sentence "twice, then three times, and eventually treating it over and over again, so as to attain such facility in the end that we can vary it in two or three hundred ways...." (BH 598)

I agree with him on this, that the repitition should be done gradually and because of this, I recommend starting with the pantoum, followed by the sestina, and then the villanelle. The reason being, is the pantoum's repetition is often the easiest to master, sestina somewhat harder in difficulty, and the villanelle being very hard to master.

The pantoum is very subtle in its repitition, each line is only repeated once, much like Erasmus would want it. The finished product itself is always stunning as each repeated line may take on a new meaning, or feeling.

The sestina is is somewhat harder because of its strict requirements, 7 stanzas, but easier than a villanelle as you are only repeating words and not entire lines.

The villanelle itself, depending on the person, can be harder or easier than the sestina.

All of them have one thing in common though, it can teach a person to use repitition, and not jsut variation of repititoin, to be effective in speech or writing. They all can show that repitition is not an ugly or offensive thing.

for pantoum guidelines, please visit: http://anitraweb.org/kalliope/pantoum.html

For a pantoum example, please visit:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/books/features/19980920.htm


For sestina guidelines, please visit: http://www.public.asu.edu/~aarios/formsofverse/reports2000/page9.html

For a sestina example, please visit: http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/poems/904.html


For villanelle guidelines, please visit: http://www.public.asu.edu/~aarios/formsofverse/reports2000/page8.html

For a villanelle example, please visit:
http://www.public.asu.edu/~aarios/formsofverse/reports2000/page8.html
Please read sylvia plaths, "mad girls love song." or elizabeths, "one art"

2 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, Blogger Michael Faris said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Michael Faris said...

Wow Jerry, thanks for those links. I'll check them out soon, I hope. I agree with you that repetition can be good (and sometimes beyond good, into excelllent!), and you raise some interesting issues.

However, I think you have active and passive voice confused. For example, the sentence "From my dear Faustus' letter I derived much delight" isn't passive because it is actually constructed thus:
"From my dear Faustus' letter [prepositional phrase] I [subject] derived [verb] much delight [object]."
The sentence is in active voice. When you reworded this sentence, it merely moved the prepositional phrase, which I can see wanting to do, because it could be a misplaced modifyer (in that it describes "delight" and so should be near "delight").

Your next example ("When your letter was delivered, I was filled with delight") does indeed have passive voice. However, your rewrite ("I was filled with delight when your letter was delivered.") doesn't change passive to active. Rather, it took the subordinate clause ("When your letter was delivered") and moved it to the end of the sentence, changing the focus from the time (of delivery) to the act of being delighted. The reason the sentence still has passive voice (not once, but twice), is because the actors, in this case who is doing the delivery or the filling, are either not present or relegated to being objects of prepositions. The objects, in this case "I" and "your letter" have been moved to subjects. So if we change the passive sentence "When your letter was delivered, I was filled with delight" to active:
"When the postman delivered your letter, delight filled me."

Your last example of active voice ("Your letter was very sweet to me.") can't actually be classified as active or passive because "was" here is a linking verb, saying the letter (subject) is (linking verb) sweet (adjective describing subject).

I see how you could not like those sentences, perhaps because the emphasis is on the wrong place, or the modifyer is misplaced, but it's not because of active or passive voice.

I like how you brought up poetry here, and gave us great examples of when and how repetition can be used. Erasmus was writing about speeches, though. How do you think repetition could be used in speeches (or prose)?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home