Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Response to Question 1

1. If you are preparing to teach, what are you taking away from Delpit’s article regarding language and power that might help you as a teacher, and how could you apply these ideas to your proposed level of teaching?

I am pursuing a PhD in Physics. Hence, I will most likely be required to teach at a graduate or undergraduate level, especially if I stay in academia. Delpit's article raised a few concerns regarding how to maintain both an inviting classroom and a productive learning experience for the students. Therefore, I must adapt my teaching styles to the apparent needs of the students. Even though I will be teaching higher level classes than those mentioned in her article, I can still apply the use of different language techniques depending on the situation. For instance, if I am teaching lower level classes than I will have a more diverse audience and will adopt a more direct and formal teaching strategy. Furthermore, if I am teaching graduate course, then I would adapt and create a more process oriented classroom where the students take a more active role in their learning.

Kyle Augustson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home