Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Response to Question #1

I think the most important thing that I will be taking away from Delpit’s article is awareness. Now that I have read the article, I am aware of issues that may come up when I become a teacher. The language of power can affect the way teachers treat different students and the way students react to their teacher. Through my awareness, I will be able to recognize and understand how different cultures have different ways of communicating and I can adjust my teaching to help all of my students, no matter what their background, to succeed in my classroom.

This article has also made me see the importance of feedback from parents and the community about education and getting a new perspective on what will be helpful for students. I want to be open to suggestions and criticisms in my classroom so I will be able to adapt my teaching and be effective.

Melissa Barnhart

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home